Clickteam Fusion 2.5 - Best Game Maker Review
You have that perfect idea for a game. You know that players would be captivated by the story. You have every level planned out in your head and know just how you want it to look. But you're missing one thing--you don't know how to make a game! Sound familiar?
If you’re a would-be game developer who would like to design games but have little to no experience with coding, you might think that it's just not possible to make your own game, but Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is here to prove you wrong. This game creator program is designed to help a beginner create a game like a game designer. Read on to discover how it works and what its benefits and drawbacks are.
Here is a look at some of the key aspects of the game maker
- Ease of Use. If you want to dabble in game design with a simple format, Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is an excellent game creator for you. The drag and drop editor allows you to set up visual events in very little time and then animate them with a full integrated physics engine. In the online community area, you can discover resources that other gamers created that you can incorporate into your own games with instructions on how to do it.
- Customisation. Unlike some other game makers, the games that you can make with Clickteam Fusion 2.5 are not cookie cutter. You can create rich, dynamic games that are very complex with the game designer software and you are limited only by your own knowledge and experience. The drag and drop editor lets you create a reasonably complex game, but if you want to make something very advanced, you may need some basic knowledge of coding in C++ to bring your vision to life. That said, the game development program is still a lot easier to use than traditional programming environments even if you get into complex coding.
- Flexibility. You can design any kind of game that you desire with Clickteam Fusion 2.5, as the game does not lock you into set templates. The finished games can be played on Windows or PC computers, and you can also use it to develop games for Android devices, iOS devices and playing on Internet browsers. One important thing to note is that not all features are available on Windows versions of games created with Clickteam Fusion 2.5.
- Customer Service. Clickteam Fusion 2.5 does tend to get criticized for customer service. The instructions included with the game design software are very basic and unlikely to get you beyond making a very basic game. They do provide a phone number but prefer that technical support concerns be submitted through an online app, which can mean delays in getting help. That said, the site's online community forum is a great place to find answers and assistance.
- Cost. There is a free version of Clickteam Fusion 2.5, but most games will require you to purchase the full Fusion 2.5 program, which comes with a one-time fee of $99.99. After that, you will need to buy an exporter package to code your game into the final format for distribution. Packages range in price from $70 to $200. For highly sophisticated, complex games, it's necessary to purchase the Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Developer program, which costs $399.
Summary of the Pros of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 for Game Development
Some benefits of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 include:
- Ease of Use for Basic Games. Even someone with no experience can make a basic game with the game designer program because of the easy drag and drop functionality.
- Multi-Platform Capability. With Clickteam Fusion 2.5, you can design a game that can be played on any type of device.
- Free Version. While you will likely need to buy the full version of Clickteam Fusion 2.5, you can take it for a test drive to see if you like its basic features before you commit.
- Upgrade discounts. If you buy Clicteam Fusion 2.5, and later decide you want to upgrade to the Developer version, Clicteam offer upgrade discounts.
- No Limits. You are free to do as you wish with your Clickteam Fusion 2.5 games. There is no limit on how much you can make and the site does not make a commission off of game sales.
Summary of the Cons of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 for Game Development
The biggest drawbacks of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 are:
- Branding. Even with the $99 version of Clickteam Fusion 2.5, the game that you make will have the software logo displayed on its front page. Only with the developer version is this logo removed.
- Windows community extensions. Many community-made extensions are only written for Windows, making it difficult to port your game to other platforms.
- Cost. Unlike some other game maker programs, Clickteam Fusion 2.5 requires you to buy not only the software but also a separate exporter for every format that you want to release your game in.
A Brief Look at Clicktem Fusion 2.5
If you are just learning how to make a game, Clickteam Fusion 2.5 will allow you to easily create a basic game that you can enjoy on your own or sell for a profit. Those with some coding experience will find that the game creator program opens the doors to being able to make your own game with a complex, sophisticated design. While the price is higher than many entry-level programs that let you design games, you can do more with Clickteam Fusion 2.5, so it provides a good value for the money.